Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Prince of Pelvic Politics

"But, he is a smart lawyer," is what typically followed a description of the decades of mysoginist bills and amendments offered up by Rep. Paul "Skip" Stam (R-Wake). I leave it to you, dear reader.

I have listened to Rep. Stam argue and debate for 20 years. In the minority or in the majority, his style is consistent. With false assumptions, pseudo science, an air of erudition and endless repetition, Rep. Stam intimidates, bullies and tries the patience of even his own mates.

When ideology trumps real science, replicable research and all reason, I am not persuaded. When charlatans testify as experts using anecdotes - which is not the plural of data - I worry. Of course, the lack of critical thinking utilized by the voters will not improve if the GOP keeps cutting public education budgets and the Governor questions the value of higher education. But, I digress.

Contrary to the body of work that Rep. Stam has to his credit:

**abortion does not cause future pre-term births.
**Women are well-informed about abortion and do not come to a decision to have one in a frivolous manner.
**Many residents of North Carolina are actually not Christian.
**Many Christians and non-Christians find it offensive that the particular tenets of any religion would be inscribed in state law.
**Obamacare, the expansion of Medicaid and the creation of health insurance exchanges in would be welcomed by the people of NC. Your constituents, not your donors.

In my view, intelligence is measured by an open mind, a willingness to learn and empathy for other human beings. As Socrates once said, "I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing."


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment